Search

Protect Your Family From a Hidden Vacation Rental Danger with First Alert

Is there an unseen danger lurking at your vacation rental? See how you can find out and keep your family safe.



Thank you First Alert for sponsoring this post. Know CO!



When we head out on vacation with our two kids and two dogs, staying in a hotel is just not an option. We are much more comfortable in a single family home with room to spread out, no close neighbors to bother when we wake up early in the morning, and a spot for the dogs to do their business in private.

Staying in a rental vacation home is a smart choice for lots of families. But there are a few safety concerns that you need to think about to keep your family safe, and the biggest threat is one that you can't even see.



When you arrive at your vacation rental you probably know what to look for when it comes to common safety best practices. You'll double check the locks, test the smoke detectors, and be sure that any potential hazards to your kids are removed.

But you may not think about the common safety hazard that is known as the silent killer: carbon monoxide (CO).



Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that kills over 400 people in the United States each year. More than 50,000 people seek emergency treatment for accidental carbon monoxide poisoning annually, according to the CDC. Any fuel burning device, from water heaters to gas stoves to furnaces, can produce carbon monoxide and without a CO alarm you would not know it until it is too late.

You may already have a carbon monoxide alarm at home, but that doesn't mean that your vacation rental will. Major property rental sites encourage owners to have CO alarms, but they do not require it.

That's why you need to take responsibility for your family's safety when it comes to carbon monoxide and bring your own First Alert 10-year sealed battery Carbon Monoxide Alarm with you when you stay at a rental property.


This portable tabletop CO alarm is the perfect choice to bring with you on vacation because no installation is required! It's compact, stylish, and designed to sit on top of a tabletop or dresser. It's a no brainer for making sure that your family is protected from CO anywhere you go!


This First Alert carbon monoxide alarm is totally hassle free, with a sealed battery that lasts for 10 years. Just turn it on and follow the quick directions to set up and test your unit. It just takes a minute and you'll know you're protected.

The backlit digital display will show you the room temperature, and it will alert you to peak levels of CO if they are detected.

Make sure that everyone in the family knows what the alarm sounds like and what it means. If the alarm does detect CO, it's important that everyone knows to leave the home immediately and get to fresh air. It's a good idea to do a practice run and determine where your family meeting spot will be in case you do need to evacuate.


This unit has a 10-year sealed battery, which means you won't need to replace the batteries for 10 years. You should still test the unit regularly, and be sure to replace it when you hear the end of life warning.

Click here for more tips on how to keep your family safe from carbon monoxide and how to know CO!


Love this? Pin it here!



No comments

Post a Comment