My cat Biggie is amazing. He loves my kids, tolerates my dogs, and is friendly to everyone he meets. But he has a dark secret. He stinks. So when I got the opportunity to work with Fresh Step® with the power of Febreze™ I jumped at the chance. Could they really help me conquer Biggie's litter box odors and make my smelly cat a thing of the past? I couldn't wait to find out!
Let me start with a little more about Biggie. We adopted him from our local shelter almost eight years ago, when he was three. As you can guess from his name, he's a big boy. He once topped the scales at 17 pounds, but we've been working to get some weight off and he's now a svelte and healthy 13.5 pounds. His personality sold us on him immediately - he is incredibly sweet and completely fearless. He loves everyone and puts our big dog in his place with just a look. But when he goes to the litter box, the whole house knows about it. Possibly the entire block. He has some digestive issues that exacerbate the problem (though we finally have a diet that is helping). I have tried EVERYTHING to help reduce the odors from his box - moving it all around the house, air fresheners, air purifiers, fans, you name it. But nothing has worked for long. So when I found that Fresh Step® with the power of Febreze™doesn't just mask odors, but it eliminates them, I thought maybe we'd found the key to conquering the smelly litter box once and for all.
I gave Biggie's litter box a good cleaning and filled it with our new litter. I immediately noticed the lower dust formula - so much better to keep my bathroom surfaces clean and the air clearer. I also picked up on the fresh, clean scent. But how would it stand up to Biggie? Only time would tell.
He finally decided to check it out. After a couple of sniffs he made himself at home and success! Fresh Step with the power of Febreze held up to his strongest litter box odors. Fresh Step with the power of Febreze has 10-day odor control* for even the strongest litter box odors, and it certainly stood up to Biggie's test, leaving behind a fresh, clean scent.
*for complete terms and conditions see freshstep.com/guarantee.
I'm so excited to finally conquer Biggie's litter box! Finding a new litter that really works is just the first step in keeping our home cat-odor-free. In addition to making sure you are using the best litter to control your cat's odors, here are some other ways I've found to reduce the cat smells and keep your home fresh and clean.
- Scoop your litter box every day. Cats prefer a fresh, clean place to eliminate, and daily scooping will help encourage them to use the box. Keep your supplies handy and in one place - I keep a bin with my scoop, bags (an empty tissue box is great for storing shopping bags to use for litter), and a small handheld brush to sweep up any litter scatter.
- If you have more than one cat, be sure to have more than one litter box. And as your cat ages, consider putting a box on each level of your home in case they have mobility issues.
- Put your litter box on a hard floor surface. Putting a litter box on carpet can confuse your cat and create unintentional accidents.
- If you decide to enclose your litter box (like ours), be cautious of the materials the enclosure is made from. We had a lovely wooden end table type cabinet, but it quickly absorbed urine odors and became a major source of stink. If you use a cabinet, be sure it is water proof and clean up any splashes or misses quickly.
- Completely empty and wash out your litter pan regularly. Odor causing bacteria can build up over time and a good scrubbing will keep things fresh.
I'm so happy that we've finally found the solution to our smelly cat problem. Fresh Step with the power of Febreze has been the missing ingredient we've been looking for to keep our home smelling clean and fresh!
Do you want to check out Fresh Step with the power of Febreze, too? Enter to win one of 20 February subscription boxes from CatLadyBox, which will include exclusive cat items for you and your cat as well as a coupon for a free box of Fresh Step® with the power of Febreze™(approximate retail value of $39.99 each). View the Rafflecopter below to see how to enter:
What's your biggest challenge in dealing with cat odors at home? Leave a comment below and let me know!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Fresh Step® with the power of Febreze™. All opinions and ideas are my own.