Our cat Biggie is getting ready to celebrate his 10th birthday. He's an important part of our family and puts up with a lot with two kids and two dogs in the house (but let's be honest - he is definitely in charge around here). With his big birthday coming up, we decided to spoil him a little bit. The boys and I made him some very special toys and I found him a new natural food that he just loves!
We made Biggie two new toys for his birthday. These were really easy projects that the boys and I could make together, but older kids could certainly make them on their own. And they are a great way to recycle your cardboard tubes! These toys make wonderful gifts for your own cat or can be a service project to donate to your local animal shelter.
The first one we made was a Cardboard Tube Roller/Shaker (pictured above, bottom). This is a really fun toy for cats to bat and roll. To make your own roller/shaker, you'll need:
- Empty toilet paper roll
- Crayons or markers to decorate your tube
- Tape (plain clear tape and washi tape for decoration if desired).
- Small hard objects for filling: I used a few old buttons I had lying around. Anything that will rattle when shaken will work!
To make your Cardboard Tube Roller/Shaker:
- Start by decorating your tube. We used crayons to draw on it, but you can use markers, paint, or stickers. Be creative!
- Trace 2 circles out of card stock with your tube. These will be the ends of your shaker. Cut them out. Adhere one circle to the bottom of the tube with tape. You can cover it with washi tape as well for a decorative look.
- Fill the tube with small objects for shaking. I used buttons but dried beans would work well too.
- Cover the end with the other card stock circle and seal with tape. All finished and ready to play!
Our next project was a Cardboard Roll Feather Wand (pictured above, top). Biggie loves feathers so I knew this would be a hit. To make a Cardboard Roll Feather Wand, you will need:
To make your Cardboard Tube Feather Wand:
- Decorate the paper towel roll with crayons, markers, paint or stickers. Be creative!
- Punch 3-4 small holes around one end of the roll, approximately 1/2 inch from the bottom.
- Thread a piece of ribbon through each hole. Vary the length of your ribbon pieces so that it's more interesting to your cat. Tie a knot to secure the ribbon to the tube.
- Tie a craft feather around each ribbon end. Knot securely.
That's it! Now you're ready to play!
Biggie loves his new toys! He has lots of fun batting the roller around and making it rattle. The boys love to use the feather wand to play with him (though I've caught him playing with it by himself too!)
Biggie works up quite an appetite playing with his new toys, and I've discovered a new natural cat food that he just loves: Purina Muse®.
Biggie can be particular about what he eats, and I prefer to give him a natural food. With Muse you don’t have to choose between natural nutrition and food that tastes great. Your cat can have both when you choose Muse.
Muse is available exclusively at PetSmart, and we picked up a few varieties on our last trip. There are 30 delicious recipes (24 grain-free!) to choose from: Chowder, in Broth, Toppers, in Gravy, and Pate. Something for every cat, and all made with real fish or poultry and no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Biggie has loved all the flavors that he has tried so far - I've never seen his bowl so clean so fast. And I feel good knowing that I am feeding him a quality natural food. Cat food shopping is easy now that I've found Muse!
Natural has never been so delicious. Put Muse to the test with our clean plate guarantee.
What's your cat's favorite way to work up an appetite? Leave a comment below or message me on Facebook and let me know!